Tuesday, May 20, 2008

an unexpected suprise

***edited to add photos***

(of course I am going to take my Rebel out of a burning building, are you kidding me?)
Seriously though, I took these pics after they let us go back in the building to get our clothes.

I am writing this really really early in the morning at work. I had a bunch of other posts to share with you today, but I'm putting those off due to a very unexpected and unpleasant event that occured earlier today.

After only about 2 1/2 hours of sleep, I was woken up at 2:00 am by my roommate. Because our house had caught on fire. One of our roomates had left a very cheap lamp on for a very long time and the ceiling caught on fire. And the walls. etc.

We lost a significant portion of the roof of our house. No one was hurt (okay, one small burn) and some issues with smoke inhalation, but other than that, everyone is fine.

I'm fine. Tired and sad, but fine.

Also, we have the best neighbors ever. Because they were the ones that came to our house to tell us it was on fire.

I'm really really glad we had a fire extinguisher and we knew how to use it.

I guess, one thing I really want to say is, is if you personally don't know what to do in the event of a house fire, I strongly urge you to find out. Call your local fire department or your city office. Take a class. Talk to your building safety team. Do it today.

Things could be a lot worse for me right now. Proper safety precautions probably saved six lives tonight.

Take care.

10 comments:

Bekka said...

I'm so glad you and your roommates are safe! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

phin said...

oh Christina, so sorry about the fire, but glad that you and your roommates are safe! how scary!!!

take care!

kelly said...

What a scary way to wake up- so glad that everyone made it out safe!

krista said...

so glad to hear that you are ok and that your loss is minimal! thanks for sharing your story and reminding us of that fact. have a great day--despite!

redmom said...

I'm glad to hear you're all safe!! Take care.

Susan J said...

I so glad you are all okay. That is horrible. Yuo are so very blessed!

***Welcome said...

dude! im glad to hear you're okay..that really sucks. keep your chin up. Glad you knew what to do!

CandiMandi said...

OH man! That is so crazy! I'm so glad you are okay. I'm gonna go check the batteries in my fire alarm now.
wow.

Sharmaine said...

Oh scary!!
Glad your both ok!
I remember seeing a house fire when I was about 10 or so, it has always stayed with me. The kids running down the road trying to find someone to help...

Anonymous said...

Christina! OMG! I'm so glad you and your rommies are okay; what a scary experience. Please let me know if you need anything, okay? Seriously! I'll be down in Seattle this weekend.
:O Tenaya

Blog Widget by LinkWithin