Sunday, January 24, 2010

Steampunk Tropical Expedition at Woodland Park Zoo

You may remember the last time I posted about the fun Greg and I had attending a Steampunk event here in Seattle.

(Oh yes, that's right. On very special occasions my nerd and I dress up in costume and go out. In public. It's typically awesome, and the event we attended recently was no exception.)

We were very excited when we heard that our local zoo was going to host a tropical expedition with a steampunk theme. We even got up early for the occasion. But coffee was, of course, required.
(You may note that a lot of these photos were shot with my fisheye lens. That may or may not be because I picked up a Maya Road Gear book that I may or may not be using to make a minibook about this adventure.)

When we got to the zoo, we were greeted by the free-ranging peacock. It was a little chilly, so he was just hanging out by the classroom tent. 
So there were about 20 of us in the class, all adults. Our instructors were funny, focused, and quite knowledgeable.

Everything was going swimmingly, until we went into the tropical house. And my lenses TOTALLY fogged up. Dangerously so. That's what I get for going from Seattle weather to the tropics in less than three minutes.
There was just a ton of really cool stuff to see. Among other things, we saw jaguars, frogs, snakes, birds, monkeys, and even some gorillas.
And then things got weird. (Just kidding)
We got to play around with some old school tracking devices. Very neat stuff. After we got our bearings and finished with the tracking equipment, our guides had a special treat for us.
We got to go into the (currently under renovation) carousel house. We got a private tour and even got to poke around inside the actual authentic vintage carousel.

After the class was over, we took a detour over to see the snow leopard "kittens." They were quite feisty.
And as it started to rain, we had to stop off and vist the new desert penguin exhibit.
It was very cool, except when I got roared at when I stuck my hand into one of the "educational" parts of the exhibit. I did not yip like a scared puppy, despite whatever Greg claims.

Anyway, it was a very fun time.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin