Saturday, June 26, 2010

A decade ago


I ran into an old classmate this week who told me that our senior class 10-year reunion was happening this weekend. 

I had had no clue, as apparently, they couldn't find me to send me an invitation. I suspect this is due to the fact that I refuse to go on Facebook or MySpace, etc....Seriously though guys, you could have googled me. I'm not that hard to find....

Anyway, despite making me feel ridiculously old, I felt a strong urge to go find some old high school photos. My yearbooks are either gone or lost in storage somewhere, but I still have a few old polaroids, and surprisingly, the internets had a few scanned pages from our yearbooks as well.  


I'm not attending the reunion (Greg's birthday party is at exactly the same time), and anyway, most of my friends were not actually in my school's senior class. 

But I did do quite a bit of pondering about who I was, and what I've become since I graduated. I'm really proud of my accomplishments, and what I've done with my life so far. I have a few regrets, but thankfully they are not big ones. 

Here are some of my thoughts about the intervening decade since I ventured out of school into the big wide world:
  1. I still have basically the same hairstyle now as I did ten years ago. That's okay, because it's still awesome and works for me. 
  2.  I'm still wearing mostly black clothing, often just goth enough to be mainstream-acceptable. I'm getting over my "fear" of wearing color. I have just accepted the color navy as a staple in my wardrobe. See, people can change.
  3. Being a vegetarian was NOT a phase. It really is a permanent lifestyle choice.
  4. Nine Inch Nails is still my favorite band.
  5. I did get to Europe. It was as wonderful as my dreams. Travelling as often as I can is still a high priority. 
  6. I'm still totally crazy in love with that boy Greg (that's actually his chin way up there in that first polaroid photo). We are still just two crazy kids in love, ten plus years into our relationship.
  7. My 18 year old body was awesome. Why did I have such self-esteem issues then???
  8.  Photography and art are still my passions. I'm glad I can really afford to indulge them now.
  9. Not being able to afford college was a bummer. But luck and hard work have helped me to have a fairly decent career anyway.
  10. Wearing sunscreen at all times has totally paid off. 



I guess now all that's left is to wonder what the heck is going to happen over the next decade?

Personally, I'm hoping for lots more travel, plenty of kisses from my boy, and perhaps to buy my own house and decorate it with lots of pretty things. 

And to take plenty of photographs of my life as it happens. And of course, blog about it.

Sounds like a plan. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to my 10 yr and it was just the same as high school. The same popular jerks together, the wannabes sitting in the back, the skinny girls got heavier and the geeks blossomed; sweet revenge. Needless to say, it wasn't much fun.

葉婷 said...

Poverty is stranger to industry.................................................................

Melissa Mann said...

Love this post, Christina!

Send Flowers to France said...

Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.
Send Flowers to France

germany flowers said...

Really like this website, this really helps and very useful.
germany flowers

Blog Widget by LinkWithin