Friday, April 15, 2011

Stamp Carving Round 2: Victory!


This week I made it a goal to tackle the stamp carving task from my 30 before 30 list. This was to be my second attempt (see notes on earlier failure here) at stamp carving.

This time however, I was much better prepared. I prepped by reading a few very good blog posts (thanks Julie!) and a very excellent episode of Scrap Time (thanks Christine!). I also decided that nothing less than Speedy Carve (which is the good stuff) would do for a base.

To make it easier on myself, I decided to go with a geometric design, and make a stamp that was medium sized. I used the number one carving nib for pretty much the whole thing. It took me a couple of hours, a can of trusty diet coke and several episodes of Castle and Criminal Minds, but I got one finished!

I started by using my Tim Holtz ruler to measure out some triangles that were about .25" high. And I just started drawing until the stamp seemed big enough.


I very carefully and patiently carved out the outlines of the triangles that were to be carved out. I really liked how it looked, so I may do something similar with a different stamp. 

Then I just started carving and gouging until all the pattern was finished.


The whole process was quite soothing, actually. The finished stamp is a bit imperfect, but I'm digging it--It has a little bit of a Yellow Owl Workshop vibe going on, in my opinion. :)

I am so proud! I can wait to use this stamp on a page. Hmm.. the wheels are turning. 

Also super happy to scratch another goal off the list. :)

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

london tierney said...

OMG I want this stamp! You make it look super easy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin