Monday, January 9, 2012

Fight for the Future: Protect Internet Free Speech

Warning: this is not a crafty post. But, since you are reading this, I am assuming that you like to view internet content, and this topic is totally related.

I'll be back with some crafty updates later this week; I'm working on some heavy cleaning and organization projects, as well as dealing with post-christmas craziness.

Okay, so here's the deal:

I personally believe in using the internet responsibly. I pay for content; I give credit where owed and I respect the copyrights of artists. I believe in being aware, informed, and respectful of content located on the world wide web.

Even so, right now there are two new bills which are purporting the kind of straight up science-fiction legislation which may end up shutting down and/or crippling media-focused sites which are part of your everyday life.  I'm talking sites like youtube, vimeo, pinterest, facebook, and many others, undoubtedly also including some of the blogs you read on a daily basis.

It sounds so unlikely and impossible and foolish, but it's reality. More information is available through http://americancensorship.org/

.
PROTECT IP / SOPA Breaks The Internet from Fight for the Future on Vimeo.

Awareness and speaking up is key. That is why I'm blogging about this. This is how Democracy is supposed to work....I've signed online petitions. I've emailed my congress person. You should too.

Protect your rights. Protect artists' rights. Don't let companies change the world this way.

Not in the US? This will impact you too. Check out this video from totalhalibut (for a Brit perspective).

p.s.
Go-Daddy is also on my bad list. Here's why, from Kottke, via NotMartha.

Thank you for reading.

Hope you are well.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow ... thanks for sharing. Definitely not okay!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin